Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fun with Soft Hackles

These are some recent soft hackles I tied up on size 14 and 16 hooks. I love tying and fishing these flies. They are simple, elegant and effective, as well as versatile. You can swing them, twitch them, dead drift them, or grease your leader and float them just under the surface film imitating an emerger, some kind of terrestrial or drowned adult. I tie them in every color under the rainbow, here are just a few samples.


Krystal flash body

Blue Dun 

Royal Coachman 

Red with Peacock


I wind my hackles forward, as well as reverse like Tenkara style. Both styles are effective.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Paul, playing with soft hackles is one of my favorite things to do. They are quick and easy to tie and there are endless combinations of wire, thread, beads, hackles etc..

    ReplyDelete