Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Up Nort', Vilas County, First Ice report of Jan 2-5 2014

Thinking it would be best to kick 2014 off properly and against the better judgement of my peers, I made the trek up to Vilas County for a New Years fishing trip. With a new moon on Jan 1st and a warm up day Saturday, I ignored the sub zero temperatures and the approach of "hercules", packed up the rig and headed North.

Ice was 20+ inches everywhere I went, making for safe and confident vehicle travel. Daytime temps were in the single digits, climbing into the high teens on Saturday. Nighttime lows were well below zero. 

 My home on the ice. From sun up till sun down


 We got first tracks

 Beware of dogs, fish at own risk

 Big buck


Fishing was not fast and furious, but I did manage a good haul for my first outing of the New Year. Not to mention, the solitude found up there can't be beat and was a welcomed  change of pace following the holiday season.

No fish came on tip ups. For me, that is a rare occurrence up there. The cold weather didn't help. I was less than ambitious about re-setting and re-locating non productive sets. I did manage some crappie, and found a very productive bluegill spot home to some very sizable specimens.

No comments:

Post a Comment